DEPARTMENT: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC WORKS – ROADS
JOB TITLE: ROADS WORKER IV
COMPENSATION: GRADE 12/STEP 1 $16.23 HOURLY/$33,758 ANNUALLY –
STEP 5 $17.90 HOURLY/$37,232 ANNUALLY *BASED ON EXPERIENCE
*SALARY MAY BE HIGHER BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision, drives and operates commercial weight vehicles and heavy construction equipment used by the Roads Division used only on County property to perform various maintenance and construction tasks.
• Drug and Alcohol Testing
• Essential personnel subject to emergency call-back with little or no notice and may have to work nights and weekends to provide coverage and may be required to work in poor weather
• Pre-employment background check and motor vehicle history
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Drive and operate commercial weight, single and tandem-axle vehicles and equipment;
• Tow, load, and assist in loading and unloading equipment, tools and materials;
• Train employees in the essential duties for their position;
• Transport crews and/or materials.
• Assists with planning, scheduling, and supervising employees in the maintenance and repairs of the County roads;
• Complete an operator’s daily checklist for maintenance of equipment;
• Perform preventative and routine maintenance on trucks, tools, and equipment;
• Inspect vehicles daily, make minor repairs to vehicles and assist the mechanic with major repairs;
• Participate in safety related training, lead and instruct others in the performance of semi-skilled and skilled labor tasks
• Knowledge of proper safety procedures and PPE utilization at all times to perform job related duties
• Mows grass and remove debris from roadways and drainage systems; trim limbs of trees and apply herbicide;
• Plows and sands roads during snow emergencies, including operation of snow blower;
• Ensures confidentiality of information and records and complies with record retention schedule
• Complies with all safety programs, procedures, training, fire drills, COOP plans, and works safely
• Adhere to the Worcester County Government Personnel Rules & Regulations;
• Performs other related duties as required.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Knowledge and skill in operation and maintenance of commercial weight vehicles and equipment such as gradall, loader, dozier, compactor, and dump truck.
• Ability to follow verbal and written instructions; read street signs; keep records and logs; complete written forms; and to communicate effectively with the public and coworkers;
• Ability to apply acquired knowledge to increasingly varied and complex tasks;
• Ability to perform duties independently and as part of a team to complete assigned tasks by established deadlines;
• Possession of a valid Class “B” CDL license with air brake endorsement upon employment and driving record with less than 4 points (MD); Current ICC Physical Examination card, ability to
pass ICC drug screen;
• Ability to perform manual physical labor including frequent walking, bending, stooping, lifting and carrying heavy objects up to 80 lbs., and the operation of vehicles, tools, and equipment;
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS CONTINUED:
• Tree Trimming Certification upon employment or obtain at next available course.
• Able to efficiently operate a six wheel dump truck, a tandem dump truck, a front end loader and a tractor mounted mower.
• Also be able to operate at least 5 of the following vehicles/equipment proficiently: belt loader, broom tractor, bucket truck, long reach mower, steel-wheel roller, shoulder machine, skid steer
loader, tiger cat.
• Operate at least 1 of the following 4 special equipment proficiently: dozer, gradall, grader, and paver.