DEPARTMENT: WORCESTER COUNTY JAIL
JOB TITLE: CORRECTIONAL OFFICER TRAINEE
GRADE/SALARY: GRADE 17/STEP 1 $43,056 ANNUALLY/$20.70 HOURLY (DAYSHIFT)
GRADE 17 SHIFT/STEP 1- $45,240 ANNUALLY/$21.75 HOURLY *3:45PM– MIDNIGHT OR 11:45PM-8:00AM SHIFT
JOB SUMMARY: This individual is responsible for supervising inmate population, their movements and following the policies and procedures to ensure security, custody, and public safety for the Worcester County Jail. This individual will report to the Security and Custody Supervisor, but will be under the direct leadership of the Warden.
• Drug and Alcohol Testing
• This position is considered essential personnel and is subject to mandatory overtime as needed
• Subject to emergency call-back with little or no notice as needed
• Successfully pass pre-employment background check, including fingerprinting, motor vehicle history, work history, and references
• Successfully pass pre-employment physical fitness assessment; physical examination, and psychological testing
• Must be able to work holidays
• The schedule is 5 days on and 2 days off and then 5 days on and 3 days off
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Follows policies and procedures as outlined in the manual for the Worcester County Jail.
• Ensures confidentiality of information and records and complies with record retention schedule
• Provides security and welfare for the inmate population.
• Prepares required reports in an accurate and timely manner, and disseminate to proper supervising channels.
• Observes inmates to detect or prevent disturbances.
• Escorts inmates throughout the Jail.
• Processes inmates into the Jail, accounting for personal property and issuing Jail clothing.
• Administers medication as prescribed by the medical staff.
• Patrols assigned area regularly, checking locks, doors, security lights, etc.
• Ensures the operation of the control center as assigned.
• Logs and delivers incoming mail.
• Supervises trustees in the delivery of meals to the inmate population, and maintains records of the same.
• Assisting and offers guidance to inmates concerning adjustments to the institutions.
• Controls contraband in the institution through personnel and inmate housing unit searches.
• Regulates visitors in the Jail.
• Monitors inmate recreation.
• Occasional shift supervision functions as assigned by the command staff.
• Helps in counseling inmates and handling of personal problems.
• Complies with the safety programs, procedures, training, fire drills, COOP plans, etc.
• Adhere to the Worcester County Government Personnel Rules & Regulations.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS:
• Must possess a High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
• Must be certified by the Maryland Commission of Corrections within 12 months of employment.
• Valid driver’s license and driving record of less than 4 points (MD).
• Must be 21 years of age.
• Ability to follow verbal and written instructions; keep records and logs; complete written forms; and to communicate effectively with the public and coworkers. Ability to apply acquired
knowledge to increasingly varied and complex tasks.